Thursday, June 25, 2009

1 Confirmed Case!

Yes, of swine flu at Bellaire. But it's not me! One of the poor little preps was diagnosed as having swine flu, but the newsletter that was sent out said they were recovering quickly.

Today was the first day that I really felt comfortable in the classroom and had full reign with what I was doing. I know that it's sad but I think the only reason I felt this way was because Brie wasn't there. I didn't have to worry about if I was taking too long with the lesson or if the kids were talking about something irrelevant. My classroom would not function the way that Brie's does, and it is way frustrating trying to work underneath someone who insists on sticking to their rules. Especially with such young children I think they deserve to stretch their minds in the creative aspect of their work. So many of the students have problems coming up with their own idea and I think it is because they have been prompted with everything that they have worked on.

I love working with this grade though because they are so easy to work with. They believe almost everything you say, but there are the rare moments when some of them will pick up on your sarcasm. Today Lily asked the question that everyone but my students seemed to be asking: "Ms. T, do you have a boyfriend back in America?". I could tell she was disappointed by my response so I told her that Nick Jonas had asked me out on a date, but I turned him down. "Why did you say no?" she asked. "Well he's not really my type. He was too short." I replied. Lily told me that was alright and that I should go on a date with Mr. Whiteside (one of the Middle teachers) because he is really tall, which he is. I love the logic of a 7 year old...why didn't I think of that? Declan was sitting at the same table and had a little smirk on his face throughout the entire conversation. He gave me a look afterwards that told me he knew what I was up to...smart boy.

Well, I'm off to the premiere of The Hannah Montana movie with Johanna! (Yeah, they're a bit behind here...)

2 comments:

gwtochterman!@gmail.com said...

Really enjoying your posts.

Make sure you practice a nuclear attack drill before you go to S. Korea. We had to do that when we were kids in Panama. All children would crouch under their desks and put their hands and arms on thei head.

Worked for us.

Andrea said...

Haha, that's great! I'll have to tell Chloe and her family about that! Hope all is well, Uncle Gary!