Friday, May 15, 2009

Wear your trackees and runners.

$10 to the first person to translate that phrase.

Just as I thought I was getting used to Australia, I started school this week and found out just how wrong I was. I started the week in Andrea's class, and after 2 days there, the principal came and asked me if I would mind moving to Brie's class. Brie recently had a new student join her class who has made it difficult to manage her classroom, so I am there to "let her get her sanity back". I have been working with this particular student from the beginning of school at 9 am until they leave at 11 am. The student really responds well with one-on-one instruction so I am almost completely drained by the time they leave, but oh my goodness it is so worth it. The student is finally working and not giving us any problems! I am still trying to get used to how Bellaire runs their school days, but most of the teachers are young so it is easy to talk and get to know them.

The teachers here are not just co-workers; they are friends. Just this past week, I went to two different events outside of the school day with the teachers. The work ethic here is very interesting because even though they are laid back, they definitely know what they have to do get a task done. It is almost as if they have found the right balance between work and play. They are able to combine the two in moderation and succeed in both work and social life very well.

I had my first taste of Vegemite this week. After my students kept asking me if I had tried it, I figured it was about time to sample the infamous spread. I'm sorry to report back that I was less than impressed. I only put a tiny amount on my buttered toast and found myself reaching for my juice after every bite. It is very salty, and I have never been a fan of salt in the first place but the last corner was the only thing I didn't finish of my toast and Vegemite. So Uncle Gary, the $3 might be spent towards something else now.

Another new thing that I tried this week was hanging my laundry on a line. After my clothes were done in the washing machine, I was in the laundry room looking for the dryer - opening every door and cabinet. I went out and asked Maree where the dryer was, and she just laughed and said that I had to go outside to hang my clothes. I stared at her and she pretty much had to clarify that there was a line and pegs outside where I would hang my clothes to dry. She then mentioned that they had a dryer in the garage that they never used and said I could use that if I wanted. Supposedly clothes in Australia are made to shrink if they are put in the dryer, so even their panties go out on display for the neighbors and passerbys to see. No shame. I opted to use the dryer - that I had to dust off! - for some things but hung the rest.

I got my first feel for the Geelong winds today. The wind was so extreme that the excursion (field trip) that I was supposed to go on with the preps (kindergarteners) to the Botanical Gardens was postponed until next week. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder, so I might have to skip out on the football game. Mom, send more clothes!

3 comments:

gwtochterman!@gmail.com said...

Sounds like it is going well. After 3 months of roundabouts you will hate traffic lights.

Have you passed along the most important lesson yet to the students?


Gary

Unknown said...

running clothes and sneakers?

Andrea said...

haha, yes sweatpants and sneakers. That's what they told me to wear for the excursion, and I had to ask what they were talking about.